Next month I’ll be certified as an Enneagram cohort. While I was in class last month, we learned when fear comes up in us, it often dictates our thoughts and actions.
When we think of fear, we may think of physical harm or danger but the fear from our being is what surfaces when we are not aware.
When we are not aware, we are not in a state of consciousness. Being conscious means we are aware of our thoughts and emotions and we are not being our thoughts and emotions.
Some of the basic fears we experience depending on your type may look like the following. If you resonate with one or more, just be aware if this fear is dictating your thought or emotion.
- Being destroyed or being violated.
- Losing my world, being cut off from everything.
- Of being “bad”, corrupt, unredeemable.
- Of being loveless, that there is no love
- Being worthless and deficient (without inherent value).
- That I have no identity.
- To be lost in ignorance & senselessness
- Of being without orientation (lost) without support & guidance
- Of deprivation & being trapped in emotional pain.
When we practice understanding why we are upset, bothered, or mad about a situation and then step outside of the situation, we can often identify the fear that is dictating the emotion or thought. We don’t have to judge it just identify with what is driving that emotion or thought.
Instead of being upset because someone didn’t call us back, identify why we are upset. What is the fear that is driving the emotion? And then know that fear is nothing trying to become something.
If you are interested in learning more about the Enneagram, please feel free to reach out to me.